MEET HAROLD LAU, FASHION PR & TV HOST
1. What advice would you have for someone looking to get into the same role and industry as you?
If you want to be a fashion PR, there are certain qualities you need to have, passionate in everything about fashion, Having an outgoing personality and enjoy socializing. You also need to be detail-minded and willing to work very late sometimes. Good fashion sense would be an advantage, which helps look-ing sharp and giving a good impression to others.
If you want to be a TV Host, you cannot be camera shy, but don't worry, that can certainly be trained and improved over time. Have confidence in yourself, even if you don’t, you have to act as if you are... Good sense of humour will be a big plus.
2. What have you learnt from your years working in the industry?
Enjoy eve-ry bit of your work, stay positive is the key. Work hard and improve yourself constantly. It’s very important to have good communications between all par-ties. Believe in your team, having a good teamwork is important, you need to motivate your team and manage expectations to achieve the expected results. Always prepare a backup plan for the unexpected.
3. What career books would you recommend reading?
'How to Win Friends and Influence People', this book has inspired me a lot.
4. What should always be taken seriously? What should never be taken seri-ously?
Your failure to do something should always be taken seriously, you must ad-dress the issue immediately and find out the reason why as well as how to improve in the future to never make the same mistake again. Losing money at gambling should never be taken seriously as long as you are not addicted to it.
5. Can you name a person who has had a tremendous impact on you? Maybe someone who has been a mentor to you? Why and how did this person im-pact your life?
Well, there are a lot, everyone who are more experienced than me I see them as my mentor, depends on whether you are looking at their strength and learning from them.
6. What’s the number one thing you want to achieve in the next five years?
Earn enough money to buy a bigger apartment with rooftop! I can grow my mini garden and enjoy sunbathing and can have more fun with my family and friends there! Flat here in Hong Kong is crazily expensive!
7. What is your favorite Networking conversation starter / ice breaker?
Every time I start a conversation is different, it depends on the situation, I think very neutral ones like “how do you know the organizer?” “Do you at-tend these kind of events a lot?” won’t go wrong.
8. What is your favorite Hong Kong restaurant(s)?
8 ½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana - you really need to try the white truffle risotto
9. Where is your favorite place to brunch in Hong Kong?
Oolaa, maybe due to the location other than good food [and] it’s close to my home
10. What is something you are looking forward to in 2016?
New challenges, and also new TV program that I can participate in.
11. In order of importance, how would you rank: happiness, money, love, health, fame?
Happiness is always my top priority, then it’s health, having good health allows me to take care of my loved ones. I believe money and fame will fall into place when I am working hard.
Follow Harold on Instagram @Horace_Harold_Lau